Day 2: Cat Not Eating and Fluid Therapy
Welcome to Day 2 of our 4 day program. Today we are going to talk about how to encourage our cats to eat and keep them hydrated.
Anorexia that last for
3 to 5 days requires some
form of nutritional support
Part 1: Cat Not Eating
Reasons Why A Cat Won't Eat
Dental disease/Tooth abscess
Pain when swallowing
Ate a foreign object
Doesn't like a certain type of food
What happens when cats don't eat
Not eating for an extended period of time can result in weight loss and muscle wasting. Also the immune system cannot function properly. Also cats are prone to fatty liver disease when they do not eat for prolonged periods of time.
When should I be concerned
If your cat does not eat for 3 to 5 days, it will require nutritional support and needs to see a veterinarian.
Medications your vet might use
These three medications below are commonly given by veterinarians to help stimulate cats to start eating:
What you can do
It is important to
determine if the cat
won't eat or can't eat
Your job is to try and get your cat to eat. There are many things that you can try:
Soft canned cat food
***Warming the food list above will increase its appeal to your cat, because warmed food smells much better which stimulates the appetite.***
Part 2: Fluid Therapy
Dehydration is one of the main reasons why puppies and kittens die when they have diarrhea or are vomiting.
Dehydration can also have a huge negative impact on adult dogs and cats that are sick and not eating.
Animals that weigh less than 20 pounds are more prone to dehydration.
Causes of Dehydration
Not eating or drinking
Frozen bowls of water in the winter
Why dehydration is dangerous
Dehydration causes the volume of blood to lower, which means blood cannot deliver oxygen to tissues as efficiently.
Signs of dehydration
Dry and tacky gums
What your vet might do
In severe cases, IV fluids will be give. Some types of fluids that might be given IV include Normosol, lactated Ringers, and 0.9% sodium chloride.
In moderate cases, sometimes the fluid is given subcutaneously, which means under the skin. Sometimes, the vet will show you how to give fluids under the skin of your cat so you can do it at home.
What you can do
Any wet food contains a high amount of moisture.
Canned cat food
Cats weighing less
than 5 pounds are
more prone to dehydration
Low sodium chicken or beef broth
Natural Remedies for Cats
Herbs and other natural remedies have been used for centuries by people and animals to help prevent and cure certain diseases. Most have been proven safe and do not carry the potential for severe side effects that prescription medications do.
Some of these herbs include:
Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian Ginseng)
Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary)
Arthrospira platenis (Spirulina)
Emblica officinalis (Amalaki)
These 4 herbs can help to improve your cat's mental and physical state. Before giving your cat any home remedies, you should consult with your veterinarian.
7 Tips for Keeping Your Cat Healthy
Here are 7 things that you can do to help keep your cat healthy and disease free.
1. Feed your cat a high quality pet food, that is low in preservatives and additives.
2. Give your cat access to lots of fresh clean water. Be sure to regularly clean your cat's water bowl.
3. Play with your cat to give them lots of exercise to stay lean and healthy.
4. Keep household cleaners and other possible toxins out of your cat's reach.
5. Deworm outdoor cats, and even indoor cats that occasionally go outdoors.
6. Keep your cat up to date on vaccines.
7. Take your cat for yearly veterinary exams.
That is all for today, please check your email tomorrow for Day 3, where we talk about things you can do at home to treat constipation in your cat
Explore more about:
1. Cat Insurance Comparison Chart: Handy chart that list all plans by price and company.
2. Read my latest blog posts
3. Cat Fountain: A great way to increase the health of your cat and entertain them while you are gone all day.
4. Cat Litter Box Training: Tips for choosing the right litter box and litter.
5. Cat Health Information: Explore more about how to keep your cat healthy.
6. Cat Supplies: A good range of necessary cat supplies.
7. Cat Window Perches and Beds: Give your cat a great view!
8. Cat Auto Carrier: A cat carrier that actually straps firmly into your car for ultimate safety.
9. Cat Toys: Keep your cat entertained while you are gone all day.
10. Automated Cat Litter Boxes: Check out the latest designs.