Day 3: Home Remedies For Cat Constipation
Welcome back to day 3 of our 4 day program. Today we are going to talk briefly about cat constipation.
Things to try first
Canned pumpkin and
olive oil are simple
but very effective
Canned pumpkin (not pumpkin mix) - cats love the taste
Olive oil - a small amount on the food really helps
Laxatone (or other hairball remedy) While cat constipation may not be related to a hairball problem, hairball remedies contain a lot of oil and lubricants to help the cat's gut.
Constipation is a very common problem that affects people and animals alike. And just like older people are are more often affected, older cats tend to have constipation more often as well.
Constipation can be defined many different ways, but usually is defined as the difficult passage of feces.
Symptoms of Constipation
Cat is frequently using the litterbox, but no feces passed.
Cat seems uncomfortable and the abdomen is painful.
Stools that are passed are very hard and dry.
In severe cases cats can lose their appetite and even appear lethargic.
Cat passes a lot of gas.
Possible Causes of Constipation?
Constipation can be caused by a number of different things, but the more frequent causes include:
A diet that is low in fiber.
Dehydration, or not drinking enough water.
Pelvic fractures or injuries.
Dehydration is one of
the most common causes
An increase in stress.
Change in living conditions.
Certain prescription medications.
It is simple to monitor your cat's bowel movements, as you can just check the litter box when you are cleaning it.
But most people usually notice behavior changes in their cats first, like a decreased appetite.
Early diagnosis and rapid treatment of constipation can help prevent more chronic conditions from happening, like Megacolon.
Megacolon is a condition in older cats where chronic constipation has lead to a colon that is not able to contract and pass stool as it once did.
In advanced cases of megacolon the treatment involves surgical removal of the colon.
Initial treatment of normal cases of constipation usually involves oral laxatives and enemas.
You should always talk to your veterinarian before giving your cat an enema as certain human enema kits are too high in phosphorus for cats.
Natural Herbs and Remedies
Many pet owners turn to holistic remedies to help cure their cats from constipation. One benefit of holistic remedies is that they don't carry the same risk for side effects that traditional prescription medications do.
Some of these remedies include:
Psyllium nigrum husk and Avena sativa (Oats)
Both of these are great sources for fiber, that helps to regulate bowel movements.
Aloe Ferox is great because it is known to be a natural way to cleanse the GI tract.
Naturium Muriaticum is a homeopathic remedy that can help restore the GI tract back to health in cases of constipation, diarrhea, and vomiting.
5 Ways to Prevent Constipation
1. Feed your cat a diet that is higher in fiber, or one that is specifically designed to help prevent hairballs.
2. Give your cat access to lots of fresh clean water every day.
Lots of fresh water
and a balanced diet
is the best prevention
3. Give your cat lots of exercise. Physical movement of the body can be a natural way to help prevent constipation.
4. Avoid giving your cat table scraps that are high in fat or dairy products.
5. Canned pumpkin (not pumpkin mix) can be a great and tasty way to keep your cat regular. Just a small spoonful often does the trick.
That's all for today, tomorrow is the last day of course and we will talk about dealing with cat urine issues.
Explore more about:
1. Cat Insurance Comparison Chart: Handy chart that list all plans by price and company.
2. Read my latest blog posts
3. Cat Fountain: A great way to increase the health of your cat and entertain them while you are gone all day.
4. Cat Litter Box Training: Tips for choosing the right litter box and litter.
5. Cat Health Information: Explore more about how to keep your cat healthy.
6. Cat Supplies: A good range of necessary cat supplies.
7. Cat Window Perches and Beds: Give your cat a great view!
8. Cat Auto Carrier: A cat carrier that actually straps firmly into your car for ultimate safety.
9. Cat Toys: Keep your cat entertained while you are gone all day.
10. Automated Cat Litter Boxes: Check out the latest designs.