Best Dog Breeders
Tips in choosing the best dog breeders
The best dog breeders can be found anywhere. However, buying the best-looking puppy in the pet store does not necessarily guarantee that you bought a pet with a top breed.
What are the different types of breeders? Which of them provide the best dog breeds?
1) Look for reputable breeders. Well known breeders know specific details about their specialized breed. They examine genetic diseases that are known to have physical and emotional impact on that breed, perform veterinary maintenance and sustain breeding records.
A breeder of good reputation will provide you with both the good and bad points about the breed you prefer. They offer useful advice and assistance to new dog owners.
You can spot a reputable breeder by the way they maintain the dogs they personally own. They will let you observe the kind of care they give the dogs and allow you to see where the dogs live.
Most outstanding breeders are not just out to make money. They provide a written health guarantee with all the dogs they sell.
The majority of reputable dog breeders belong to local or national breed organizations and clubs.
2) Avoid backyard breeders, puppy mills and pet shops.
* Backyard Breeders. These people have limited education about the breed standards. Commonly, backyard breeders do not maintain a regular check-up on the dog’s health and genetic makeup. Usually, these people breed to make money and that is their focus.
* Puppy Mills. This is a term commonly used to describe a business that produces large quantities of dogs. The majority of the puppies born and trained in puppy mills do not usually follow a regular veterinary care and appropriate feeding. Puppy mills do not sell directly to the public. They only allow sale to pet shops, brokers and dog auctions.
There is no generic breed testing conducted in puppy mills. The dogs born here have not been adequately socialized and trained. Most of the puppies are sold in large numbers at the age of 3 to 4 weeks and could later give the dogs emotional and health problems.
* Pet shops. Many pet shops grant guarantees. However, these guarantees last for only a year while majority of genetic diseases found in dogs materialize when the animal is over a year old. Most pet shops buy their dogs from puppy mills at a very young age for a cheap price. Young puppies that are not suitably socialized could cause behavior problems and poor health.
Finding the best dog breeders means your pet could live a longer life. Find a reputable breeder now and spare yourself from possible heartache.
What is your favorite breed of dog?
Small Dog Breeds.
Top 10 Dog Breeds.
Best Dog Breed for a Family.