Buying a Horse
Both buying a horse and having a horse is a major responsibility which should not be taken lightly. When deciding to buy a horse there are many factors to consider. It is a good idea to talk to current horse owners about their experiences, and even take riding lessons so you are more experienced with basic horse husbandry.
1. There are many places you can buy a horse from. These can include auctions and private owners. No matter where you buy your horse from it is important you get a thorough history from the owner, as well having a pre-purchase exam done by a veterinarian. Doing these two things can save you a lot of money and stress.
2. When choosing the type of horse to buy, there are over 350 different breeds of horses to consider. But the main thing to look for is the temperament of the horse. If this is your first horse you should choose a horse that is calm. It would also be best to buy a horse that is already trained.
3. The age of the horse is probably not as important as the temperament. But the age is an important factor to consider. Horses can live up to 30 years. Choosing a horse that has had several years of training is probably the most important factor.
4. Once you have purchased your horse you have to decide on where to board your horse. If you are lucky, you have a farm to keep the horse at. But a lot of people will have to keep the horse at a boarding stable which can be costly.
5. Another consideration you need to think about before buying a pony or horse is how much time do you have to devote to the horse. Horses need to be fed twice a day, stalls need to be cleaned, and training needs to be done. Having a horse, or any pet is a major time commitment. Please give this serious thought before buying any pet.
6. Money is a big factor in deciding to buy a horse. There are many costs that people may not think about before buying a horse. Boarding fees, stable fees, feed, and tackle can add up to a big bill. Also, do not forget that if your horse gets sick you need to pay a large veterinarian bill as well.
7. These are just some of the considerations you need to think about before buying a horse. By doing research before you purchase a horse you can save yourself a lot of time and money.
Caring For Your Horse
Horse Health Information Page
Free Online Veterinarian Advice